- Written by Super User
Associate Member, Department of Infectious Diseases
Country of Residence: United States
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
332 N. Lauderdale St
Memphis, Tennessee 38105-2794
Tel: +1 (901) 495-5164
Fax: +1 (901) 495-3099
Research Interest and Areas of Expertise
Viral-bacterial interactions, Influenza virus vaccines, Pathogenesis of influenza viruses, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and Staphylococcus aureus
Education and Certifications
BA, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, 1989
MD, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, 1993
National Board of Medical Examiners, 1993
American Board of Pediatrics #062333, 1997, 2004
American Board of Pediatrics Infectious Diseases Subspecialty Boards, 2001
University of Tennessee, Molecular Sciences Graduate training courses
Most recent publications are below.
- Huber VC, McKeon RM, Brackin MN, Miller LA, Keating R, Brown SA, Makarova NI, Perez DR, MacDonald G, McCullers JA. Distinct roles for IgG1 and IgG2a antibodies in the development of DNA and viral replicon particle-based influenza vaccines. Clin Vacc Immunol. 2006;13:981-990.
- McCullers JA, Iverson AR, Boyd KL, Orihuela CJ. The Streptococcus pneumoniae pyruvate oxidase (spxB) is essential for induction of pneumonia following influenza; choline binding protein G (cbpG) is not. Submitted.
- Smith MW, Schmidt JE, Rehg JE, Orihuela CJ, McCullers JA. Induction of pro- and anti-inflammatory molecules in a mouse model of pneumococcal pneumonia following influenza. Comp Med. 2007;57:82-89.
- McCullers JA, Karlström A, Iverson AR, Loeffler JM, Fischetti VA. A novel strategy to prevent otitis media caused by colonizing Streptococcus pneumoniae. PLoS Pathog. 2007;3:e28.
- Vigerust DJ, Ulett KB, Madsen J, Hawgood S, McCullers JA. N-linked glycosylation attenuates H3N2 influenza viruses. J Virol. 2007;81:8593-8600.
- McCullers JA, Iverson AR, McKeon RM, Murray PJ. The platelet activating factor receptor is not required for exacerbation of bacterial pneumonia following influenza. Scand J Infect Dis. Epub 2007.
- Caniza MA, Maron G, McCullers JA, Clara WA, Cedillos R, Dueñas L, Arnold S, Williams B, and Tuomanen EI, Planning and Implementation of an Infection Control Training Program for Health Care Providers in Latin America. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007;28:1328-1333.
- Vigerust DJ, McCullers JA. Chloroquine is effective against influenza A virus in vitro but not in vivo. Influenza Other Respir Dis. 2007. In Press.
Book Chapters and Initiated Reviews
- McCullers JA. Preparing for the next influenza pandemic. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008. In Press.
- Huber VC, McCullers JA. Vaccines against pandemic influenza; what can be done before the next pandemic? Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008. In Press.
GlaxoSmithKline – pandemic influenza advisory panels
Infection Control Officer, 2002-present
Honours & Awards
National Merit Scholar, 1985
Virginia Scholar (Governor’s Award), 1985-1989
Echols Scholar (Honors program), 1985-1989
Paul Palmisano Excellence in Pediatrics Award, 1993
Southern Society for Pediatric Research Young Investigator Award, 1999
St. Jude Scholar through St Jude Physician Scientist Development Program, 1999
Young Scientist Grant – Options for the Control of Influenza IV Meeting, Crete, Greece, 2000
Roche Young Investigator Award for the IV International Symposium on Respiratory Viral Infections, Curaçao, Netherlands, 2001
Bradley Dean Dixon Memorial Lecturer, 2006
Thomas Cone, Jr. Founders Lecture, Irish & American Pediatric Society, 2007
Alpha Omega Alpha
Infectious Disease Society of America
Pediatric Infectious Disease Society
Southern Society for Pediatric Research – elected Council Member 2002 – 2004
American Society of Virology
American Society of Microbiology
CV or Biosketch